Monday, August 15, 2011

Learning from our Elders

I've had two experiences this weekend where our family was able to learn from our Elders.

Nick and I had the unique opportunity this past Sunday to speak in a small branch for Retired Seniors.  There were only about 20 people there total, but the spirit was amazing!  We brought the boys with us because we were asked to, and they were so good.  Nick and I spoke a few weeks ago in out own ward about our pioneer heritage and we were asked to give those same talks at the Branch. 

My talk was all about my Grandma who recently passed away.  I was always really close to her, but after her death I have read her life story that she transcribed to a friend of her a few years ago before Alzheimer's took her memory.  There are so many things that I never knew!  My Grandparents on my dad's side grew up in East Germany through the Depression, World War II, and the Russian Occupation afterward.  It AMAZES me the things that they had to face, but also helps me to understand why they have such strong testimonies of the gospel. 

So, I talked a lot about how special it has been for me to get to know another side of my Grandma after her death through her records. The transcription is word for word and in some parts she directly speaks to her children and grandchildren.  I love those parts, I can hear her voice saying those words to me as I read.  I love her so much and I miss her.  At the branch,  I couldn't help but look into all of those members faces and think they all must have amazing stories to tell.  I really hope that they get written down for posterity, there is so much to learn!

Nick gave a great talk about his lineage, Zina Huntington Jacobs Young.  It's always an interesting story, but afterward we heard from the President's wife that one of the Sisters that day comes from a polygamist marriage and is now in her 80's coming back to church.  I wonder what she thought about the talk?

Saturday, Nick and I went into a grocery store leaving our kids with Papa to wait in the car.  When we came out about 10 feet away from the front door we saw Simon with his trousers to his ankles relieving himself against the side of the store.  We quickly ran over, horrified, to find that all the boys had done the same thing.  The reason?  They all had to go and that just seemed like the logical thing to do.  My boys pretty much were delighted by the whole thing, but we bee-lined it right out of that parking lot.  Luckily, the store we were at was an Associated Food Store, so I guess that's what they get for firing Nick back in May?  Well, it makes me feel better to think that anyway.   


Speaking of Polygamy, have I mentioned how nice it is to have two of us women cooking together in the kitchen?  I think it is one of my favorite parts of living here with Nick's parents.  We even enlisted Nick's help on Sunday so we could have the following menu:

Grilled New york Strip Steaks (Nick grilled them perfectly!)
Greek Orzo Salad
Homebaked rolls (Rhodes bake and serve, can't really beat them)
Grilled Zuchinni
Not Yo'  Mama's Banana Pudding,  (Paula Deen Recipe, hence the name)

If that made you hungry, head on over to my food blog and see the recipes for the Orzo Salad and the Pudding.  They are easy to make and so yummy.  Here is a picture depicting how Gabe and Ian felt about dessert.  Great picture there, going in the family records!



2 comments:

Sheila Jacobs said...

Yes, yes, it was a super delicious meal and having multiple hands working in the kitchen or with the grill, definately helps!

Brianna said...

I do have to say that I LOVE that puddin!! I also LOVE that your boys were doing their business PR style!! That is how you role there and I think it would be acceptable here in Loisiana too! :)
But it was good to see you guys today, even if it is only skype it makes our day. Tell Gabe good luck at school and ya'll eat some of that yummy pie for me too!