I've been really busy lately.
Mostly because I am running a business, working at a part-time job, and just for kicks I am teaching music classes this summer. Plus there's those mommy things that we do.
Also, I have this weird problem that I over-schedule myself and my kids. Always. I really hate it about myself, in fact I would even say that I loathe it about myself. It is really hard for me to "waste-time", that's what down time feels like to me. It's really hard for me to do nothing, and I force my kids most of the time to follow in my crazy chicken-with-a-head-cut-off ways.
Anyway, today is Friday. I finished all of my tax stuff for work, got pay-roll finished for the business, and had no classes scheduled to teach today. So, the boys and I decided that we would visit the Discover Gateway museum with the pass that Shelly gave us. (Thank you Shelly!) We set about to make all the beds, tidy the rooms, dress the bodies, and brush the teeth. (I also put on some make-up for the benefit of all those whom I encounter today, your welcome). We ate lunch and marched outside to get into the van and go to the museum. That's when I realized that my keys were in the van, and it was locked.
The boys were dissapointed, but I think I was more dissapointed than them. No car? We are stuck home with nowhere to go and nothing to do until Nick get's home at 5. Oh Dear.
I actually called Nick, in a half-hearted attempt to see if he would waste 45 minutes of his day and gas to help me out. I can't believe I actually did that in retrospect. Luckily in our phone conversation I came to my senses and said, "we will just find something else to do".
So, we scootered down to the south end of our neighborhood where there is a beautiful creek that runs through the property. We took our time in that sweltering noon heat, looking at anything that caught our fancy. There was no need to rush because we have nowhere to be and no way to get there. We stopped at the big cottonwood trees and tried to climb them. We stopped behind the carports to seek cover for two little boys who need to "go". We stepped over dead worms and snails, then stopped to analyze them and think about how gross they were. We said hello to the mailman. When we got to the river we just sat in the cool shade and stared at the beautiful water. We drank from the artisan well, it was so good and so cold! It reminded me of Tuck Everlasting,it's kind of what I imagine that well looks like, all mossy and beautiful and green. I told my boys about that book, they thought it was cool and might be true, so we all drank (Except Simon, he doesn't like the idea of being so close to the river, good on him I say).
We took pictures in posing like pirates and spies. Then when we were finished, we walked back home.
We came in the cool house and had some ice cream, why not? It was delicious. We leisurely watched Elmo's world and then read a book for naps. I kissed my boys and tucked them in. We took our time. It was beautiful!
Now I had some time for myself, I've updated my blog, and I've reflected on what a gift this day way. I am thankful that we were locked out of our car, it helped me to slow down and we all needed that at our house. I am so glad that my Heavenly Father knows what I need and he makes sure I get it despite my best efforts to thwart it all. Whenever I hear this song by Mindy Gledhill, I feel horrible that I am moving life along too quickly. I am so glad that today I got to slow down!
4 comments:
Emily....... YOU'RE AWESOME!
I couldn't have asked for a better fourth daughter!
Glad you had a nice day!
Em, I love you. And I love this post.
Good for you!!
Post a Comment