Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Listen

So there I was, shopping at Costco, when I saw Ellen Switzer who is the author of a blog I follow. A very cool, clever, and creative blog.   Has that ever happened to you?  Well, for me it was kind of like seeing a celebrity.  As a reader, you feel like you get to know this person, this blog author through their writing.  Especially when they can write well as Ellen does.    The blog author in turn,  knows nothing about you as a reader other than what you have contributed via comments or by following their blog.  You could remain anonymous if you wish, many people do. 

Back to the story, I saw Ellen at Costco.  Walked right past her!  The thought occurred to me to "hi" and tell her that I love her blog and think she's the bee's knees but I thought it would be silly and she would think I was a weirdo.  I  talked myself out of that one, and didn't say anything.  I immediately regretted it, so much in fact that I actually jogged to the rest of my groceries while keeping my eye on which way she was headed.  (Yes, I kind of did stalk Ellen.  Ellen if you are reading this, I am sorry.  I am a weirdo after all.)  I headed to the same check stand she was in just in time to go over and say Hi.  She was sooo nice!  Her face lit up when I told her I read her blog and then she explained that she has just been too tired from her new job to create anything new to post about.  I told her I understood and that I quit teaching when I had kids because I just didn't have enough to give of myself.   I said that one day I would love to have her make all of my clothes and I really meant it! (Ellen is a genius, do yourself a favor and look at all her blog archives and then follow her blog.  She is just so talented and I love her philosophy on clothing your actual body rather than what you you wish your body was or what the world thinks your body should be!)

What I wish I would have said to Ellen if we'd had more time to talk is:  Keep working hard, you just never know when the things you are learning will change your life someday.  I know how it feels to be working at a job you don't really enjoy, or that just works you to the bone.  Keep at it though, life is not passing you by and sometimes you just have to pay the bills. (Did I mention that even though I don't teach I still work and I always have?  But, I've been lucky enough to make money doing things that give me time and energy to still be a mom to my boys)  Make sure you take time for your family and for yourself, but remember to forgive yourself if you put your dream on a the long-term goal shelf.  Just don't forget to take it down once in a while. On the other hand, stay prayerful and there will be a time when you will know it is right to focus on your dream.   When that time comes don't give up for anything!  Knock on every door and ask for help.  You would be amazed at the amount of good people  in the world who want to help deserving people such as yourself.  Plus, when it's right then it's going to work out.  That is just the gospel truth.

So, today I am glad that I listened to that thought.  I know that it wasn't my own thought because mine tend to be sort of muddled and usually revolve around food.  It is my life's goal to listen to those thoughts that come from a higher source and I am learning that is is usually if not always the first original thing that comes into my mind when I am doing what I should be doing in life.  If I stew over things, then I usually let my brain take over and convince myself of something else.  Those first quiet thoughts or feelings are golden and they make people feel good, including me!




1 comment:

Brianna said...

It's cool to see that your both inspired each other. That is totally awesome! Keep at your dreams ladies :)