Monday, August 29, 2011

Ian Starts Kindergarten!

Today marked Ian's first day of his school life, he began kindergarten.  He was so excited!
All last week he was counting down the days until he got to start school, he had his outfit planned and his backpack ready days ago.  Here is what he chose, Red is of course his favorite color.  As for the shorts, well I am not too fond of them, but they are shiny sports shorts and so he thinks that makes them fancy.  Shiny = fancy in the mind of a kindergartner, so I let him wear them.  He's too cute to say no to.

Ian had a lot of expectations about school based on what he has heard from his big brother Gabe, so I tried to remind him that this is a different school and things might be different than what he expects. He was cool with that. 

I made Nick come with us to drop the boys off this morning because I knew that it was going to be sad, and I wanted him to see how us stay at home parents feel.  I don't think you get the full effect of a child starting school unless you take them on their first morning.  As a result, we were on time for school and the pictures are significantly better than Gabe's first day pictures.

Gabe was a little worried, the first bell had just rang.

When we got to Ian's room, his really great teacher had the room in perfect order.  She had everyone's desk set up with a name tag where she wanted them all to sit.  There are two Ian's in Ian's class, so Ian is officially Ian J.  It brought back all those memories of forever being Emily M all throughout elementary school.  Ian thinks it is cool though.


Without batting an eye, Ian joined his class and began in on learning the new routine.  I am pretty sure he didn't even turn around to say goodbye to us until we called out to him.  He is just ready!  On our way out, Ian's teacher had made a small gift for each of the parents to take.  It was a bag with an apple, a chamomile tea bag, some mints, a small candle, and some chocolates.  Attached was this poem that she wrote:

The first day of Kindergarten
I gave you a little wink and smile
as you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave 
knowing your child must stay.

You've been with him for five years now
and have been a loving guide,
but now, the time has come 
to leave him at my side.

Just know that as you drive away
and tears down your cheeks may flow,
I'll love him as I would my own
and help him learn and grow.

After you've gone home and dried 
your tears, make yourself a hot cup of tea.
Eat some chocolate and put up your feet.
Remember that together you and
I will work for your child to be the
best that he can be.  

Love Mrs. H
(Yes, Nick and I cried our way through reading that.)


Ian is such a great kid, I am going to miss having him home all day with me.  It's true, he has a great school and a fantastic teacher.  He is going to be so happy in kindergarten!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mrs. H is MEAN!!! That even made me cry and I have zero children in school. Sheesh.

Also, I suppose I JUST learned that shiny does not = fancy. Dang. :(

Heidi said...

Best of luck to all of you this year! What a perfect begining!

Sheila Jacobs said...

Fantastic! Ian.... do you know how many photographs we have of OUR kids first days (daze)of school, standing right there in that part of the back patio?

I'll have to get them for you!

You're awesome and we love you!
Emily....... you'll make it!

But DON'T read that poem anymore if you're wearing mascara!