Monday, April 6, 2009

An interesting perspective...

I guess I would have to call myself a fan of the Stephanie Meyer novels. Yes you know the ones. I would not classify myself as a hard-core Twilight Fan, but I did read them and I did enjoy them.

Once I was introduced to Edward, I distinctly remember feeling as if my husband, who I usually adore, just didn't quite measure up to Edward. Who could really? I mean there's that whole "undead" thing, oh and he's incredibly romantic, smart, rich, sparkly...

After I finished the series, there was a distinct detox period where my brain had to come away from the vampire world and again accept the life that is mine. Again, what can compete!?!

Now, almost a year later, I cannot help understand and possibly even agree with the author of THIS article.

What do you guys think?

8 comments:

Marianne said...

Ha Ha, I am laughing so hard about your label- Those Darn Vampires!!

I am reminded of something I read on another blog. (lightrefreshmentsserved.com) Sorry this is long, but I don't know how to do a link:

If we buy into that, we are buying into the Edward Cullen mentality which says that when we read a book about a vampire with full lips and sex appeal who loves us so much he stays up all night watching us sleep we go, “Awww…how sweet! Why can’t MY husband do that?” Here’s a newsflash people: Say it with me – FICTION. Edward Cullen has a mole somewhere with a hair growing out of it, I am certain. I married a guy who is perfect for me, but he is not perfect. He loved me the day he married me when I was a size 6 and I had yet to experience post-partum depression, and he loves me now at…not a size 6 with bouts of depression that still bare their gnarly teeth some days. He loved me after I had surgery when I had to throw up with 13 staples in my stomach and he ran in and held his hand against my abdomen for support. He loved me when I was crying in the bathroom, scared about being a 1st time mom and he hugged me and said I was going to be awesome and that we would figure it out together. I could go on and on about how Cory has taught me what love looks like. But you know what? He’s losing his hair, has belly button lint, and watches the Sci-Fi channel.

As for the article: Just because something is romantic, it doesn't make it PORN!! Seriously! It is blasphemous to lump Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters in the same group as Hugh Heffner! Come ON!

Ok, I'm done :)

Emily said...

Thanks Marianne, I also partake of the "light refreshments" and enjoyed that particular post.

When I first read the article I linked too I wondered why someone had gotten so worked up over a couple of romantic novels. Really, Linnie Leavines(the author, I'm assuming female) seems pretty bitter about the Twilight phenom.

However, I see a bit of what to what Ms. Leavines in myself.

That being said, I have the Twilight movie sitting right here and plan to watch it soon. :)
Escapism here I come...

Lindsey Montague said...

So I haven't read them, and don't plan to, but really... Isn't there a WHOLE section in libraries labeled ROMANCE. Let's really talk about porn for women. I never judge people and the books they read, 'cause I don't want to be judged by what I read. But there are far more erotic-porn-related books out there that could be written up in somebody's closed-minded blog, but shouldn't.

Emily said...

Linds,
Just curious, why have you chosen to not read them? (No judging here! I put it off for a while to boycott the norm, but finally read them, just wondering what your reason was.)

Lindsey Montague said...

BOYCOTT TO THE END!!! The Anne Rice series was enough vampires for me for a long time! (and that was back in college) And, I just have to be that one person refusing to read what EVERYONE else is reading. I've always been that way.

Emily said...

Props to you Lindsey!
I think that I would be in your boat too but I was sick and hormonal and pregnant and mad about all of it...so I caved.
:(

Brianna said...

I think that this article makes an okay reminder that we need to just think about what our brains and subconscience are digesting, but I think that is the place where I stop agreeing with the author. The only problem I have with the books is when young girls are reading the books and expecting "perfection" in there own relationships. But don't we as women do that anyway? Don't we all want our prince and our happily-ever-after? And for some it comes and for others it doesn't. But that is life, huh? So for the "haves" and the "have nots" read up and either let it make you feel better, or worse, about what you have or don't.

Sheila Jacobs said...

You ladies are all way too deep!

Inhale and laugh!