Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day!



 We had a great independence day weekend!  I ran a 5k on Saturday and pr'd (!!), after which we attended the parade in Nick's hometown. The Jacobs clan is always at the parade, and always armed with at least 5 supersoakers and plenty of water to re-load.  The only people off limits are the beauty queens, the shiny muscle cars, and the marching bands.  It is always a good time!  I spent the rest of the day doing little girl's hair into princess up-do's to promote the cosmetology school that my sister in-law and mother in-law,  and I are opening.  Expressive Design Academy of Beauty Arts.  I haven't mentioned it yet have I?  Well, stay tuned...

Later that evening we had a rousing family game of baseball, some delicious tacos (perfect fare for an independence day) with some killer salsa, courtesy of Bri.
We went to the fireworks to round out the perfect day, Simon and Ian fell asleep (how do kids do that!) and we got home at about 11 PM.  Whew!

Sunday, the 4th, was my Dad's birthday.  I love my dad and I love that his birthday is on the 4th of July!  56 years ago my grandparents were newly immigrated from Germany, and their first born son was born on the 4th of July.  Pretty amazing don't you think? My grandparents have always been very patriotic and they love this country.  They love to tell the story of my dad's birth. My grandma was in labor for 48 hours and the doctor (who was Japanese) said to my grandma, "we need to get this baby here today on the 4th of July".  My grandma didn't get why that was important at the time, but listened to him anyway and my dad has always had fireworks and fanfare on his birthday! 
This year we celebrated with a delicious BBQ and some Marzipan cake plus a lot of laughing and family time.  It was a great day!

Yesterday, Nick had the day off so we headed to the mountains with the Jacobs clan to spend the day at the cabin of some good friends, the Ball family. Bri's motto for the day was, "Make your own destiny", I think everybody followed her advice!  There was a zip-line that thanks to Uncle Mark's determination, everybody (even Simon) took a turn on.  Our boys were in heaven!  They were dirty and free to throw rocks and sticks and zip down the side of a hill.   Gabe even received a bloody gash wound (not too serious) on his hand.  What more could you ask for?   We ate, we played games, we hiked, we enjoyed great company.  

In summary, it was a perfect weekend!

4 comments:

Sheila Jacobs said...

Wow, Emily! I can't believe you go the photos up so quickly!

KUDOS!

It WAS a great week-end/Holiday!
Who knew you could do so many "up-dos"? :)

Good job, Gabe, on the war wound.

We had a fantastic time and are sooooo glad you guys joined us at the cabin! It's good to get down and dirty sometimes.

Rachel said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! We wish we could've been there for dad's birthday...but we can't wait for Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

Looks like a blast! And you're opening a hair school? AWESOME. Can't wait for more details on that.

And hooray for super soakers. I laughed that it's funny to have shiny muscle cars off limits.

Emily said...

Rach, the only thing missing was your beautiful family! We missed all of you, (well hannah too for that matter) but it was good to talk the other day.