Thursday, June 10, 2010

The good, the bad, but nothing ugly...yet.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Gabe and Ian are both done with school for the year. Two weeks ago Ian had a preschool graduation with his preschool group. As you can see they were all pretty great friends and really such a fun group of children to work with. I am so glad that we did our own preschool this year!



Gabe had kindergarten graduation last week. Gabe's teacher this year has been pretty special, she is truly the kind of person who SHOULD be teaching kindergarten. She is so kind and patient with the children, and she had such a great routine with a lot of fun and unique themes. Although Gabe is looking forward to being in first grade, I don't think he will ever forget his great kindergarten experience. We are so proud of him!



Now on to this week...
It's been kind of a weird week. We are adjusting to having a lot of time together, all three of us. Gabe and Ian are also in swimming lessons, which have been going well. Here are just a couple of things that I have had to deal with:


Event 1) Wednesday evening I stopped at our community mailboxes to pick-up our mail. It was 5:30 and Nick had just drove by, we were meeting at home to go to Costco together (translation: hot dogs for dinner before grocery shopping). After getting the mail I got back into my van and started backing out...then I backed right into the corner of a HUGE construction trailer that was parked directly behind me. Illegally. On the road. If you live near me you would know that this is a huge no-no and you get towed pretty quickly around here. This was the first time in my life that I actually wished that the HOA around here would have enforced that rule!

The resulting damage was minimal to the trailer:



Not so minimal to my van:



Luckily the trailer owner was cool about it, he just needs to buy a new reflector. I need to replace the entire rear bumper of my van. Awesome!

In the back of my head all I can think is that I am so glad it wasn't a person. I am pretty diligent about looking while I back-up. I was distracted and didn't turn completely around, I was just using my mirror. I vow to always look behind my car before I get in, and also turn around completely to back-up. Lesson learned!

Event 2) Today at swimming lessons I was doing my best to keep Simon away from all bodies of water. There is the large pool in which the lessons take place, a kiddie pool, and a hot tub. The kiddie pool is left uncovered and the hot tub is covered with a thick tarp that floats on top.

By the end of the lesson, I had successfully kept Simon dry. We had looked at numerous potato bugs and blasted off to the moon a dozen times. We were walking over to the stairs with towels for the boys when I tried to "shoot" a wipe into the garbage can about 5 feet away. Of course I missed, so I turned to go and pick it up and throw it away. A voice told that Simon was going to fall in the hot tub. It was very surreal, I knew he was going to fall in before he actually did, was already reacting, then saw the whole thing play out. He was terrified and crying and soaking wet, but OK. As I tried to take his wet clothes off, Gabe and Ian were getting out of the pool and Ian started crying and shaking. Apparently he was frozen solid because he had just gotten out of the pool and was so cold. After I got Simon in a dry diaper and a t-shirt, I wrapped the other two in their towels and we headed for the car. It was at that point I realized that I was shaking and just how scared that whole experience had been for me! I am so thankful that the tarp was there, it slowed his sinking so his head didn't even go under before I got to him. I can't think about the what-if scenario's, I am just so glad that I have the Holy Ghost watching out for me and my family. I am working on being a better listener, but I do know how to recognize those promptings.

Somebody share a happy story with me, please!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Good grief! What a week! I'm so so sorry, and SO SO glad you were quick enough to respond to rescue Simon. That is terrifying.

If it makes you feel better I once RAN INTO MY OWN GARAGE (not here). So...ya know...you could be as dumb as me, that'd be worse.

Marianne said...

I'm so sorry about your van! But I am glad that it wasn't worse too. My worst nightmare is driving over a child, and I am so paranoid about it ever since we got our van.
And thanks for all the work you put into the joyschool graduation! It turned out so cute, we had a great time!

Linda said...

The happy story is that despite the events of the day you still got to tuck your sweet, healthy, happy boys in bed and snuggle with your sweetie! And you'll have great stories to tell the kids when they grow up!

cheyney webb said...

I do love reading your blog. It sure does make me miss ya. I can tell you are a fabulous mom!

xoxo

Emily said...

Thanks for the support ladies.

Linda, you are right. That IS a good story!

Amy, that does make me feel better. I have to ask, were you in the garage backing out?!?

Marianne,Your welcome! Ian and I miss preschool already. :)

Cheyney, I am delighted to see that you read my blog! Aren't you fit to be a Mama any time now?

Sheila Jacobs said...

Hey, Emily! With all that's going on lately, I haven't check in with your blog. Glad you've updated and what great photos. (as always)

Sorry about the van, the hot-tub and the dog-days of summer which have just begun..............

Thanks again for all you do for those dang cute boys and for Nick. You are amazing and we love you!