Saturday, April 17, 2010

Life lessons learned from Billy Ocean

Tonight Nick and I turned on some random music from our computer while we were making dinner with the boys. Suddenly, Billy Ocean's "Get out of my dreams and into my car" came on and sent the party to a whole new level. There was a lot of awesome 80's style dancing (snapping and side steps with some head jivin' for good measure) and a lot of loud singing from Nick and me.

As the song ended we sat down at the table to pray and begin eating. Of course I was still belting out the lyrics, cause that's just the kind of girl I am. I realized that the lyrics are rather, oh I don't know...sort of like looking into the mind of a pedophile or a kidnapper. Really. "Get out of my dreams, get into my car...oh I said hey (hey) you (you), get into my car." And that's just the chorus!

Nick and I looked at each other, and our twisted minds made an instant connection. We proceeded to talk (scare) to Ian and Gabe about what they should do if any one ever asks them to get into their car. I said that you should never get in with anybody, no matter what they say. Nick added that you should scream at the top of your lungs like a girl (his words) and run as fast as you can away from the stranger and toward other people.

Aren't stranger danger scare tactics the best?

Now I leave you with the awesome music video, which we will show our boys when they are older to teach them all about how to stay away from strutting women in gold dresses and sexy male car washers.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I'm really worried about the things that will come out of my mouth when my kid can understand stuff......SERIOUSLY worried.

Incidentally I'm also worried about those dresses....eek.

Ashlie Dalton said...

awesomeness!!! especially since i am able to leave this comment while still continuing to listen to the music video (which also happens to have fantastic pedophile mustaches in it- if only he were driving a big van with curtains...).
thanks for the laugh- great post!!!!

jamirodana said...

Nice!
I'm planning on making my kids watch the show "Intervention" so they will never do drugs or drink:)
A little graphic, I know, but man, they will learn.

Emily said...

Hahaha! All three of you are hilarious! I knew someone out there would appreciate our weird parenting style.

jamirodana said...

PS- I just tried your blog button of mine and I don't think I did it right. Blah. It took forever to get it, but apparently it doesn't work. It could be my browser....
Click on it from your house and if it doesn't work, remove it until I update. Thanks for your support!

Dana Willis said...

I figured it out. If you don't mind, try again with the new code on my family blog:)
Thanks so much!