Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Animals noises we heard today at the zoo...

From a rather nasty animal with a permed mullett (said in very loud tones to her young offspring)

"Why are you banging on the @#%$ glass, what are you stupid? If I were that gorilla I would stick up my butt and #$% right in your direction. " (I didn't even hear any banging on the glass before this occurred)

It went on, but I quickly directed my brood in another direction of the zoo.

Then, later on at the Asian highlands, an older version of the same animal (while yelling into her cell phone)

"I don't know why you bothered to send me to collection on that bill, I paid it the very day that you sent it to collection......I don't even live at that place any more so good luck trying to find me." (Really? Could we not have that conversation in a better location?)

It also goes on, but we distracted ourselves with the wonderful gift shop on the other side of the exhibit.

Lessons I can learn from today: Treat my children as I would like to be treated and pay my bills.

*****If you haven't read the book "Scream Free Parenting" by Hal Edward Runkel and you have children, you should read it! The title sounds a little weird, but it is a really good book, here is the tagline from the inside cover:
  • Focus on yourself
  • Calm yourself down
  • Grow yourself up
Heaven knows I would have liked to ignore the "do not feed the animals" sign and chucked a copy of this book toward the first "animal".


3 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow, I hate it when people are mean to their kids. I'm going to order that book from the library- thanks for the suggestion. :) I like to read different parenting books to get lots of good ideas. Have you ever heard of, The Power of Positive Parenting, by Glenn Latham? Another good one.

Sheila Jacobs said...

Emily, you're such a great mom !

It's really hard not to say something to those "animals" who are talking like that, isn't it?

If that's the language she uses in public, imagine what those poor kids hear at home....

Then the other one didn't pay her bill, but she can afford to come to the zoo. I guess she justified it by saying she was coming to her "family reunion". :0

Oh, by the way....you looked absolutely beautiful this week end. I love the curls !

Lindsey Montague said...

Just the other day at the airport, I heard a mom yell "SHUTUP , I am sick of you" at her 2 boys. Yes, one was repeating, "mom, mom, mom, mom..." But, if she does that in public, what goes on at home? She had all of the terminal watching for more.