Recently, our family traveled to California for a week long vacation. It was great and we did a lot of fun touristy things including Disneyland. I think that the event that we enjoyed most was when we traveled to Historic San Diego and toured the Mormon Battalion Museum. Seriously. The museum itself was fantastic and interactive. Some of the highlights include when Gabe and Ian got to dress up as Mormon Battalion soldiers, complete with rifles and bayonets and panning for gold. There was a lot of cool stuff, but most of all the story of the Battalion was compelling!
To summarize, President Brigham Young petitioned to the US govt. for aid to help the saints head west. Basically their prayers, and their petition to the gvmt. was answered for a call for 500 soldiers to assist in the was with Mexico. Men volunteered to leave their families and travel as a Battalion out west to fight, but they were promised by Brigham Young that they would never see action and that their families would be taken care of. They didn't fight once, and their families were cared for. Plus, they each recieved 48 dollars to purchase uniforms, which they all gave to their families and the other saints so that they could travel out west. Basically, the Battalion financed the first group of pioneers to the Salt Lake Valley. You can read more about this incredible piece of American and LDS history HERE and see pictures of the museum HERE.
This trip meant a lot to me, because the Jacobs line can be traced back to Henry Jacobs who was a Battalion soldier and also the first husband of Zina Huntington Jacobs Young. There is not a lot known about Henry, but Zina was sealed to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, while she was married to Henry and with his knowledge. In fact, he was in the room when she and Brigham Young were sealed. I think it is safe to say that Henry was a pretty unique and faithful individual as was Zina. I used to think this story was weird, but I have gained a new testimony of the sacrifices that these early saints made. I admire their faith and courage and I am proud to claim this as part of my heritage.
Bottom line, if you get a chance to travel to San Diego then please visit this museum in old town San Diego. It is great!
Read more about Zina HERE.

5 comments:
That is so cool! I love that place. I'm sure it's changed a lot since I was there last. I'm so glad you had a great trip. Maybe next time we can join you!
I have missed you lately - I know you've been busy, but I'm glad you're back now. :) Please let me know if I can help with any of the goings on over the next few weeks?
Rach, believe me we missed you guys too! Next time we will meet halfway and go somewhere in...Kansas? :)
Amy, yes it has been awhile. I have felt like I had nothing great to say lately. But now I do.
It was fun! So much better than it used to be! I am so glad Collin & Dad persisted in us going. Your boys were the hit of the show. Kansas sounds fun...we'll be there! Love you guys!
Post a Comment