Monday, October 26, 2009

Enjoy the word vomit!

I have trouble being concise with my thoughts on paper. ("yes, we know" thought the blog audience in unison)

I remember learning to write persuasive essays in high school. Begin with the opening paragraph, state your idea, point, side, this has a name right? What was that called? Thesis! Right? Anyway, as I recall, after stating your thesis (this just feels right, am I right?) one should then construct three paragraphs that would support your thesis. The persuasive essay should end with a re-statement of the thesis in a conclusive manner.

It was usually pretty hard to sum up what I had to say into that essay form.

I enjoy writing, I can go on for days when I write. Talking, or should I say chatting, usually doesn't come as easy to me unless I know the person really well. Nick get's to hear A LOT of my chatting, so does my family and a few other people. If you read this blog you have probably been victim to some of my chats.

On the flip side, spur-of-the-moment-when-it-counts-talking such as bearing my testimony or commenting in church or a public function, usually leaves me in a fuddled mess. I trip over words, I forget things I want to say, I say something that really annoys myself, I leave awkward pauses, and so on...

So, here is my point. I like leaving comments on your blogs. In fact I like it so much that I usually write a lot. I mean, do you really care that I once bought a Rainbow vacuum cleaner for $2000, then cried a lot, then returned it the next day?

In all this self-discovery I have learned that I like to censor what I say, which is why I enjoy writing. It can all be proof-read, changed if need be, and CENSORED! I don't know what kind of person that makes me. Guarded? Fake? I would also to think that it's just because I am considerate. Nobody really enjoys word vomit do they?

Questions: Do you enjoy censoring yourself? Which do you enjoy more, writing or talking?

6 comments:

Amy said...

Yes. We do want to know that you bought a Rainbow and returned it. Just think of all the things I probably could've returned and didn't.....now I know that's allowed.

I write because I suck at talking (because I DON'T censor my thoughts and really really should). I say stupid things and usually offend people, so I'm not allowed to speak in public unless I've rehearsed. (Teaching is a really horrible calling for me.)

Wanna know how many changes I made to this comment before posting it? 7.

Sheila Jacobs said...

I bought a Rainbow and KEPT it.

We couldn't afford it when we bought it, but I LOVE it.

I also know that YOU enjoy using it when you come over....which by the way....... :)

I have to tell you that when I read your Headline...I thought it said I LOVE THE WORD VOMIT!

I kept waitng for you to tell me why?

Yeah, I know, I'm old...

Amy, what were you doing awake at 4:24 a.m. ?

Sheila Jacobs said...

Oh, and....I'm glad that you comment on the blogs........hardly anyone ever does...it makes me wonder if I should stop blogging.

If I'm the only one who's looking at the photos, etc. then I CAN LOOK AT THEM anytime.......

jamirodana said...

Hahaha! You are awesome Emily!
I like to write, but I like to write mostly random comments to make the other person think, "Is Dana really this random?" Yes I AM. Proud of it.
I don't mind word vomit as long as it isn't coming off as "I know more than everyone and my life is better than everyone's". You do not do this.
You just let us in to learn a snippet(sp?) of YOU.
Thanks!
We all go through similar situations and it's nice to read about how others deal with it:)

Marianne said...

I also enjoy your word vomit. And I'm a little torn about all the censoring people do in their blogs. It's not real life- but then who wants to read everyone's dirty laundry all the time?? I have written several things that I want to post about, but I know that I will just offend everyone and will end up with no friends.

I have a pretty irreverant sense of humor, and half the time I don't say out loud what's going on in my head. And this goes for my blog too- I pretty much just stick to the somewhat shallow mommy blogging wich I feel is pretty lame. It is safe, but it's not genuine.
Now I'm going to google rainbow vacuum, because I've never heard of it.

Lindsey Montague said...

I like doing both equally... but today I am keeping the writing-part brief since I just wrote my own novel on my own blog...