Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stop calling me!

Most days I get at least 3 to 4 phone calls from various credit card consolidation companies or some other company that wants to help me refinance my mortgage. I usually say "I'm not interested" and hang up, sometimes I just hang up. Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to put that little mortgage lender to work and find out what exactly they can do for us.

Bur first, a little background: Nick and I bought our town home in the spring of 2007, literally months before the real-estate bubble in Utah burst. As a result, we have lost a considerable amount of equity in our property, I know it bites. Anyhoo, refinancing to get a better interest rate is very appealing to us, but we realistically knew that we would never be able to do so. Why didn't that memo get sent along with our information to all these dumb companies!

Back to the story: I sat on the phone with a woman who insisted that the federal bailout was meant to help people like me. She took some info and pushed her search button and then after a brief pause said...it looks like we cannot help you because your mortgage is through your credit union (yeah the stable one that is not in trouble right now) instead of Fanny Mae or Freddie Mac. ARRGH! So basically what she was saying was that since we are somewhat responsible consumers and decided to go with our conservative credit union for our mortgage, we would be cut exactly NO slack. Figures. Crappy recession, I hate you!

Randomly, I love this little clip.

The truth hurts, but can be really funny too!

7 comments:

Eva said...

I know our economy sucks. Greg and I bought our house right before the house prices went down so now we are stuck at our townhome when we could have bought a bigger home for the same price! By the way thanks for dinner. We stopped by the other day to drop off your dish but you weren't home. Let me know when would be a good day to stop by and drop off your dish.

Marianne said...

Ha Ha, that clip is so funny! James and I watched it together and were both laughing so hard. We also thought about refinancing. When we looked into it we saw that we could save about $100 per month, but we would lose all of the equity we gained, (the whole point of owning and not renting) and it wouldn't be worth it if we were going to move in 2-3 years which we probably will. (Sigh...) So I guess we'll just be stuck in the crappy economy together.

Sheila Jacobs said...

Hey, Emily! Now we know what you were doing during the T-Ball Game!
Good For You!

What's this guys' name? He's really funny! I love the satire on how impatient we have become and he's soooo right about our modern conveniences that we take for granted........Loved IT!

Sheila Jacobs said...

Oh, don't go to his "gay marriage" video.........the LANGUAGE ! ! ! !

Brianna said...

Thanks Em, I needed some perspective!

Stephenson and Katie said...

I found your blog during my sunday blog-stalk fest ;) I'm glad to know that someone else bought their townhome at the crappiest time ever!! At least it's a fun little neighborhood right?!

Linda said...

I can't believe I didn't know you had a blog! I'm so glad I found you! BOOO recession!